Updated: Dec 13, 2018
I'm one of those people - the CHRISTMAS people. Every year, as soon as the Halloween costumes are put away, I'm blasting Charlie Brown Christmas and buying pine-scented candles. There's something about this time of year that I can never seem to explain. Maybe it's that people are extra friendly. Even in the cold city of New York, people start saying 'Happy Holidays' as they help me drag my stroller up the subway steps. It gives me a warm feeling inside.
But as much as I love Christmas time, I often get stumped when it comes to gift giving. I really enjoy giving gifts, but I always spend SO much time making lists and carefully considering what the options are to pick the perfect gift for each person on my list. When I can, I try to make each gift really personal. Often, I incorporate photography - as, that's what I do. Photo gifts are very personal, as a photograph contains a certain memory that is often connected to a specific emotion. I like to use the movie 'The Family Stone' as an example. If you haven't seen it, I won't spoil the movie, but there's a very special scene where each family member is presented with the same framed print, and the photo is so special to each family member, that it brings everyone to tears. OK now I'm crying. Anyway, it's a great movie, so check it out.
SO on to the blog post! I decided this year, to make a list of all my favorite photo-gifts to share with you, my family, friends, and clients in hopes you might create a beautiful memory this year.
"On the first day of Christmas
my true love gave to meeeeee"
1. A Holiday Card.
It's not too late to design and order Holiday cards to send to friends and family. It's acceptable to receive New Years cards as well. I love the tradition of choosing a family photo, or just a photo of my son, and sending it out to loved ones who are too far away to visit over the holiday. Here are a few of my favorite designs from Minted. I partner with them every year, and I'm happy to offer 20% off to my friends and clients. Need help designing? Feel free to email me for more info. firstname.lastname@example.org
Use this code for 20% off! HOLPHOTOMRYBICKI
2. A framed photo. Simple. Easy. Classic. With all the photos we have stored on our phones and computers, how many have you taken the time to print and frame? I send a beautifully framed photo to the Grandparents every year (usually of my son). It's an 'AW' moment whenever they open their gifts, and something they can use/ see all year long. My preferred printer is White House Custom Color for professional prints of all sizes, but Minted does a nice job as well with their added gold foil designs making a photograph a unique work of art. Need help ordering prints? I'm here to help! email@example.com
3. A personalized family ornament or keepsake. Every year my sister gets a small ornament frame with a picture of her daughter in it. I love how you can see her grow and mature each year. It's a wonderful tradition to have. Have a new baby? You have to get the 'Baby's first Christmas" ornament! For those who don't celebrate Christmas, how about a set of coasters with a different photograph in each one!
Minted also does Holiday Cards that are also Ornaments! Talk about two birds with one stone. Check out some designs here.
4. A 2019 Calendar. Customizable with 1-3 photos every month, this is a gift that can be enjoyed all year.
5. A Winter Photo-Session. (Insert personal business plug here). I love Winter photo-shoots. Let's go play in the snow with our warm beanie hats and then get hot chocolate and have a marshmallow fight! Click here for more information.
6. A custom Photo-Album. These are special. Each album can be uniquely designed for any friend or family member. Great for coffee-table books as a conversation starter or a keepsake to look back on for years to come. I am happy to custom create your album filled with all your favorite photos. Email me to get started. firstname.lastname@example.org
8. A personal snow globe. Some may think it's silly, but I think snow globes are sweet and they remind me of 'Home Alone' and Christmas. Need help finding / making one? Send me an email and I'll help out!
9. A portrait by 'Little Legacy Portraits'. Little Legacy’s timeless style is derived from traditional film and darkroom techniques to produce classic archival photographs of babies and young children, including composite layouts featuring multiple images on one print. Not only is the photographer extremely talented, she just happens to be my sister! Little Legacy Studio is in Montclair NJ. When you book your sitting, tell her I sent you!
10. A Retroviewer: Looking for a fun throw-back that's really unique? My husband Matthew gave me one of these for our anniversary and I was immediately taken back to 1989.
11. Mixtiles. I haven't tried these, but I'm very tempted to test them out and add them to my print packages. I love the fact that they can be repositioned.
12. A Gift Certificate to Meg Rybicki Photography. OK you KNOW I had to throw this in. Gift Certificates are SO easy, and you can purchase them and send online without the hassel of the mail service. Gift Certificates are available for any of my packages or a dollar amount and can be used during the 2019 calendar year. Email me here to purchase your Gift Certificate. email@example.com